Sunday 16 September 2012

Year of Projects Update - 16th September


Woohoo! Another finish from the list! I've deliberately held off posting until this evening just so I could slip this one in this week.


Pattern: Socks 101 from Knitty
Yarn: King Cole Zig Zag (just over half a ball)
Needles: 2.5mm DPNs

So this is the first pair of socks I've knit. I used the tutorial from Knitty as I wanted to understand how socks worked, without the complication of a pattern on top of things. So plain vanilla socks, knit top down with very simple instructions seemed to be the way forward.

You'd think as it's the end of summer, my legs would be less pale!

I didn't line up my stripes because I couldn't be bothered. I don't mind that they are slightly mismatched! The pattern's not brilliant, although I do feel like I could tackle something more complicated now. I'm actually interested enough to go out and find a different way of doing the heel and the toe as I am not 100% comfortable with the look and feel of the ones on this pair. I think I might try toe up next time, as the socks I crocheted were done toe up and the toes are much less.. pointy than these.

Oh, and I'm sure you're wondering about the project name... one of my friends who mainly crochets once tried to knit a pair of socks, and failed admirably. She is now adamant that it is impossible to knit socks, and that knitters who produce finished pairs have clearly stolen a mostly completed pair of socks from a nearby squirrel, who has done all of the hard work. As I have two resident squirrels in my garden, I will quite happily concede to finding this pair mostly done on the lawn!

8 comments:

  1. Great job Tink on your first pair of socks. I love top-down socks. I love also how you're cool w/mismatched ones. I don't understand the real anal ppl who must have matching socks.
    Mahalo for the link to the Sock 101. I want to design socks one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!!! That's wonderful! I'm making my first sock too and I'm doing the gusset right now. I used a pattern with videos for circular needles since I'm a new knitter I figured I'd go circular right from the get-go. What did you use? I love your stripes...I didn't know they were supposed to match up! LOL! Mine are just solid but I have some really pricey self-striping that I will be using once I get through this pair. Yay for socks and yay for sock knitters! They are REALLY awesome! I can't wait to wear mine...someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minding My Own Stitches16 September 2012 at 22:12

    For less pointy toes on a cuff down sock, stop the decreases sooner (I usually stop at 22-24 sts left) and then graft the toe shut with kitchener stitch. MOST AWESOME, I promise!


    Very good work for a first sock, but a vanilla pattern is a bit dull. That being said it is one of the best pattern choices for self-patterning yarn. Now it's time to treat yourself to some fabulous tonal luxury sock yarn and knit up some fancy ones! Maybe Monkey by Cookie A.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! I generally don't try to match self-striping yarn either. I find it to be much more trouble than it's worth.

    As for different heels and toes, there are entire books on the subject. I think I'm going to try an afterthought heel next (now that I've done the double gusset heel decrease with a heel flap)...and toes are just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find my top down socks have pointier toes than my toe up ones, also, but I think that's because I'm better at figuring out where to start increasing for the heel than I am at figuring out where to decrease for the toe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL on the squirrel's..but see, it's already started...you are thinking of making another pair already..sock knitting can be addicting!

    they look wonderful..and are you supposed to line up stripes? who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think i have ever matched my self striping yarn either. Those look great. There are different toe constructions out there. I'm sure you will find one you like better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look great! I love fraternal twins in socks, matching them is too much effort!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...