Sunday 2 September 2012

Year of Projects Update 2nd September


When I came back from the LRP event last week, I was so tired I just couldn't face working on any of the projects I had on my hooks/needles. Even my granny squares seemed like too much effort, with all the colour changing involved. But I wanted to do something while I lay recovering on the sofa. So I scanned the yarns on my Year of Projects list to see if there was anything simple I could get started on.

King Cole Zig Zag

I hunted out this sock yarn, and went searching for my DPNs. I had a quick look through Ravelry for simple sock patterns, but couldn't decide on any of them. In the end, I googled "easy sock tutorials" and found my way to knitty.com and their Socks 101 tutorial. The only DPNs I had were 2.25mm or 2.5mm, which meant I definitely needed to swatch to ensure my socks would fit.

I know, I know, I've said many times that I have no interest in knitting socks. But there is a method to my madness! I can't think of anything else to do with this yarn, for starters. I have also become more curious about why people get so excited about knitting socks. After all, you wear them inside your shoes, so nobody even sees them half the time. And on my list of yarn to use this year is a gorgeous skein of Candy Skein Yummy Fingering in Arctic Mint, which I would love to do justice to and I think a really nice pair of socks I can show off would fit the bill nicely.

I ended up getting 8 stitches per inch on the 2.5mm needles, and decided that this would be perfect, as it meant I could cast on 64 stitches. The socks are knit cuff down, and I've whizzed through the first half of the first sock.


I love how the colours pool and stripe with this yarn, although I'd prefer there to be more purple and pink and less white!


The instructions for turning the heel were very straightforward; even my super-tired brain didn't have any problems with it. I've been obsessively making notes on my Ravelry project page so that when I come to sock number two I can do it the same way!

Spot the difference...
I've only faced one set back so far, when I snapped one of my beautiful bamboo needles. I've had to proxy in one of my longer 2.25mm needles so I can knit the foot over four needles, which I find more comfortable than just using three when I've got this many stitches on the go.

I have to say, I am actually quite enjoying knitting this sock. I still don't really see the point of spending all that effort on a really posh patterned pair when they'll be hidden in my shoes, but a plain vanilla sock certainly fits the bill for brainless and portable project. Plus, it means I get an excuse to buy more sock yarn! I think ultimately, I will only knit these plain socks in real workhorse sock yarns, so I end up with a stash of socks to wear inside my army boots when I go to LRP events. Any recommendations for decent, relatively inexpensive, hardwearing sock yarn that would fit the bill?

18 comments:

  1. Regia sock yarns are great. Really hard wearing and machine wash like a dream. Plus the do lots of interesting colourways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sock!!!! I am no sock expert but the Regia yarns are quite inexpensive and have some nice colours - plus I always see them in sales/discontinued sections on the different online yarn stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your socks are looking terrific. Is the yarn you ended up using the same as the first picture? it may be my computer, but the first looks to have yellow in it. Regardless, it's creating a great pattern. I'd say you've done a smashing job so far - especially being tired to start with! I would have ended up with a knotted mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is the same yarn. The photo I took of the skein was taken in really bad light with a rubbish camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look, I can comment from my phone! Gorgeous sock. I like knitting them because they are soft and comfy and don't leave ridges around my ankles. I recommend Trekking xxl, great colours and not spendy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, not sure I get the sock craze because I've seen some fantastic yarn and no one see's your socks; but have heard hand made socks are super comfortable and someday I may give them a try. Need first to get comfortable using DPN's. I agree with Robin, thought you were showing us 2 differnet yarns. Too bad it's not more like the first picture. You wouldn't then have the white. Regardless, they're looking good and you're making fast progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://4ccccs.blogspot.com/2 September 2012 at 13:47

    oophs, forgot to leave the link

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was exactly the same way for a long time. I just didn't get it at all. And then I started making socks and at some point it clicked and now I love them Word to the wise, be very careful who you gift handmade socks too. You might end up making more pairs than you bargained for. They are the only thing my Mum wants now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Underground Crafter2 September 2012 at 18:48

    I'm glad there's someone else out there wondering what the fuss is about knit socks! I also had a bamboo needle snap. Looks like we are taking a similar route for our YOP projects :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The next time I pick up socks, I'll try that link...the colors are nice and once you get this pair done..I'm sure you will be eager to join the "I love knitting socks" club!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea! Another sock knitter in the fold! verypink.com has great videos for each part of the sock too BTW :O).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minding My Own Stitches3 September 2012 at 17:41

    Really, just vanilla socks?! But there are so many lovely sock yarns and so many gorgeous patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knitted Wit Sport Falkland. It makes for a thick, hardy boot sock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me laugh--when I am tired and not feeling very motivated, the last thing to pop in my head is, "Hey, lets try to figure out how to knit socks!" :) Your socks are very lovely though, and I am slowly getting up the courage to try a pair.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great socks, and I'm seconding (thirding?) the suggestion of Regia. I made some for my dad to wear shooting and they've lasted forever, despite him usually wearing his socks to death. Plus they come in great colours and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sock is looking fantastic - makes me wanna cast on another pair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hand knit socks are like pretty underpants. Sometimes you need to treat yourself to something pretty even if no one else in the world is going to see it. And I've decided socks do not need to match the rest of my outfit. In fact, sometimes the more they clash the better they "go". Quick, easy knits to make me happy. Worth all the yarn and time in the world right there!
    And yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mom just started a plain vanilla sock too and also like you she didn't get the appeal of sock knitting but she loves it! Yours are gorgeous! I love the colors. Hmmm maybe I should try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...