Friday 22 February 2013

FO: Crazy Wave Baktus


I eventually got around to blocking my Baktus this week, so am finally able to show off my crazy, colourful rainbow stripes.

Pattern: Crest of a Wave Baktus by Jan Henley
Yarn: Skein Queen Squash in Baubles
Needle: 4mm

The yarn was a Christmas present in 2011, from my lovely friend Emmylou. It sat in my stash for months, with no real idea what it was going to become.


I had no idea how to deal with yarn that changed colour so often, and in such a bright combination! It wasn't until I knit my Momijigari that I realised that a simple garter stitch pattern might make the most of this yarn.

I loved this project. It was a complete joy from start to finish. The fact that you knit the pointy bits as you go along makes for a much quicker finish as well; one of the things that really slowed down Momijigari was the endless rows after picking up all the stitches for the border, but with the Baktus, this just didn't happen.


I failed utterly to measure it before and after, but trust me, it grew a lot during blocking. The end result is a light and airy shawl that is super warm thanks to its 100% merino content.

It's a bit creased in this pic because I'd worn it twice between blocking
and photographing outside in the daylight!

I think this shows the colours a bit better. At a certain width, you get the whole rainbow in the length of a row, and at other places the points on the border show a whole rainbow in their stripes. The odd pooling I noticed in the first half of the shawl repeated itself as I decreased, which appeals to my love of symmetry! I had been planning on wearing Momijigari to Unravel tomorrow, but now this is finished and blocked I think I might wear this one instead.

Head on over to Tami's to see more FO's today.

3 comments:

  1. A shawl that pretty should be illegal because fellow knitters will drive past it in the street and possibly get into car accidents craning their neck to appreciate those glorious colors. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KepanieKepaniecreations9 March 2013 at 02:43

    You were so smarty to pair this yarn with this pattern! What a colorfully energizing outcome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...