Friday 12 August 2011

FO flashback

It wouldn't be Friday without an FO to share. Sadly, my lack of knitting progress has been well documented over the past two weeks, so quite clearly I haven't magicked up a finished yarn-related project for you today.

Instead, let us fly back through the mists of time, so I can share with you a couple of old sewing projects I did a few years ago. They were both for Jamie's character when we were playing the Borgia-inspired noble house at LRP.



This tunic was the first thing I ever made using an actual pattern. It's pretty basic, granted, but I was so proud of myself when I finished! It was also a bit of a rush job. Burgundy velvet, lined with dark brown and edged with dark blue. Some of my seams are a little wonky but you can't really tell once Jamie's wearing it!



This was attempt two, done with more care and more time to spend on it. It's a bit more complicated. In fact, it was reading this post over at All Fingers and Thumbs earlier on today that reminded me of this project, as it also features peplums! Once again, as I'm sure you can tell, it's wonky as anything. Especially the collar. But, I'm still quite proud of it. I've had a hunt throught the old photos, and I can't seem to find anything that shows him actually wearing any of this kit though!

Looking back at the kit I've made previously is making me want to make more. Only two weeks to go till the next event now, though, so I probably won't have time. I've got other things to sort out in that time, including an enormous leather banner (more on that, later in the week).

I shall leave you with the best picture I can find from the wedding last weekend, showing off my sweet pea shawl with its beady dangly things. For some reason, I was quite accidentally camera-shy!


Head on over to Tami's for actual yarn FOs!

13 comments:

  1. Despite the camera shy-ness, the shawl looks stunning, and I really like the "beady dangly things" ;)

    Your sewing is much neater than mine, I'm hopelessly impatient so I never end up with quite what I was going for! Must learn to take more time. I'm not surprised you were proud of the tunic, it looks great (and sewing patterns are total gibberish as far as I can tell!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl looks lovely - now go buy a new handbag to go with it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I do need a new handbag, this is true, but I needed one big enough to carry three cakes of yarn to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel a bit miffed when I wear something awesome I made to a wedding and then there's no good pictures of me wearing it, heh.  At least you got a good shot from the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl looked absolutely stunning with your dress! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could make my sewing machine work well enough to make even something half as complicated as your "basic" project.  Have you ever thought about selling this stuff.  I'm sure you easily could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know too many people who are far more talented with a sewing machine than I am to think I could get away with selling anything I make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I was really pleased with the dress choice, it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the period garments!! I always say I should have lived in a different time, when women wore beautiful gowns and such. But then, I likely would have been a serving girl and not able to afford them! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a-drool over both of those costume pieces you made, especially that gorgeous shirt.  Any wonkiness is totally lost on me, all I'm seeing is jaksldf;jl COOL.   Black-and-red always looks so fabulous. 

     Also fabulous: the sweet pea, as worn.  It looks great! 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christina Helbig13 August 2011 at 02:24

    Peplums are a pain in the butt to do - which is why I avoid them whenever possible when making bodices for faire! - but I think you did a fabulous job on the black and red doublet. I think the frogs are the best part. 

    Dammit, now I have an urge to sew again! 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great sewing  jobs.  The shawl looks lovely from behind.   I pulled out an old project for today, as well. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah - Crafts From The Cwtch13 August 2011 at 09:21

    Nice sewing! The shawl looks lovely - shame we can't see more of it :) 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...