As I mentioned on Sunday, I was struck down with startitis last week. After failing to hit gauge on two different new projects, I pulled out my sofa bed afghan leftovers and cast on for Trilobite. Ever since Mimi first posted about owning her own trilobite fossil I have been extremely jealous, so when she released a pattern to knit your own, I knew I had to have one!
Project: Terry the Trilobite
Pattern: Trilobite by Mimi Hill
Yarn: Stylecraft Special Aran with Wool in Charcoal and Peat
Needles: 4mm dpns
The pattern actually calls for 4mm straights as well as the dpns, but I don't have those. What I do have is a gorgeous set of Brittany 4mm dpns, 10 inches long and part of a Ravelry swap parcel I received a while ago. I hadn't used them before, as they are super long and I haven't knit anything that requires such long dpns before. I figured they'd be long enough that I could use two of them as straights to knit the body pieces for my trilobite.
I think my finishing has let me down slightly, as I could have taken slightly more care over sewing the front and back together to get a more rounded head, and neater sides (as so beautifully demonstrated by Mimi's pattern photos). But I have to say, the pattern itself is very cleverly designed, particularly the way the axial lobe is constructed.
I have no idea what I will do with it now it's finished... for now it is sitting on the TV stand next to the Cyoot Sad Eyed Dragon and Sir Tiny Knight. It's just cool. And in the words of my lovely fiance.. "I can't believe you're knitting something that has an axial lobe. That's awesome!"