Friday 14 February 2014

FO: Cables in the Fog

Golden Gate Bridge in the fog

I can't believe it's been nine months since I flew out to America. Where has the time gone! You may recall I popped into Imagiknit while I was in San Fransisco and bought four wonderfully blue skeins of Cascade 220, with plans to knit $5 in Paris from them.


With the jumper finished, I found myself with leftovers. Now, I love my jumper, and I'd wear it every day if I could. But of course that is not really possible, so I started thinking about things I could do with the leftovers that meant I could carry this little piece of San Fransisco around with me more often. My default setting is gloves, so gloves it was!



The pattern is Cwtchy Cable Armwarmers by my lovely friend Sarah over at Crafts from the Cwtch. At first, I thought I only had enough yarn for the short version, but as it turned out my maths was appalling, and I had enough for almost full length ones.

I made a slight modification to the pattern as written (I don't seem to be able to knit gloves without making changes these days!). The pattern transitions from the cable back to rib at the end of the cable repeat, the row before the next cable row. I worked three additional rows, so that the cable twist sits right up against the ribbing, as it does at the other end. I also didn't have quite enough yarn for 9 full repeats of the cable, so I did 8 instead.

I love them already. The blue is as bright as the blue sky we eventually saw once we'd crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and pulled out of the fog. Between these and my Odessa hat, I now have two very portable and wearable reminders of my honeymoon to keep me smiling during this atrocious winter we're having.

3 comments:

  1. Terrific gloves. Love the pop of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! Has it really been nine months since you were here?! I was trying to remember the other day and I couldn't think of it. I knew we had been in the house for at least a month or two so it would have been at least April but I just couldn't remember :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...