Project: Hello Millie
Pattern: Kit Kat Purse by Melinda Miller (free Ravelry download)
Yarn: Sirdar Bonus DK in white, yellow, black and pink
Mods: I did a few modifications to get the purse I wanted. To start with, I've used DK weight yarn instead of the recommended worsted/aran weight, so I dropped the hook from a 4mm to a 3.5mm. Otherwise, I followed the pattern exactly for the head. Instead of the bow/flower suggested by the pattern, I used the Pin Up Girl Bow by Heather Pierce, another free Ravelry download, as I thought it was better.
For the strap, I did foundation double crochet (US) rather than chaining to the right length and doing sc into the chain all the way back. The row of fdc is neater, I think, more symmetrical. And should be sturdy enough to deal with anything a four year old can throw at it!
I sewed the handle to the bag using my yarn ends, being careful not to let the pink show through on the right side. I attached one side to each face, to try and make it hang straight.
The lining material was a bargainous 60p, and I have plenty left should I want to make another purse like this one! The pattern suggests you sew lining to each face individually, before crocheting the two halves together. I didn't fancy that, as that meant there would be no lining on the bottom of the bag, and stuff might get out of the crocheted seam. So I crocheted the two sides together, and lined the bag as a single piece.
I used the crocheted head as a template and drew the outline on my material, cut two rough squares that were about an inch or two bigger than the shape. I sewed them together along the outline, starting at the tip of one ear and working around the bottom to the other ear. I did it by hand, because I couldn't be bothered to get the machine out. I didn't have matching thread, either, so I just used white. Once I'd sewn the two sides together, I folded down the tops and tried to sew as neat a seam as I could by hand, so that when you looked inside the bag it wasn't a complete mess.
I attached the lining to the bag by turning the crocheted part inside out, and sliding the lining onto it with the wrong sides facing. I then very carefully (and as neatly as I could) sewed the top edge of the lining to the crocheted fabric. I had my fingers crossed (although not literally, because I had a sharp needle in my hands and that sort of thing could be dangerous!) but when I turned it back the right way around I knew that it had worked out just fine.
I have added a stud fastener in the middle of the bag to keep it shut, but didn't take another photo afterwards!
I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. It's a lot cuter than these photos would have you believe! I can't wait to see what Millie thinks of it! Will be putting it in the post next week.