Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Photo-less WIP Weds

I did try to take photos of my new WIPs last night, but got busy sorting out the Games Workshop miniatures instead, and failed to upload them to the internet anywhere. I'm starting my next set of courses tonight, so I won't be home till late, so it's unlikely I'll have a chance to do any uploading today either, so you'll just have to make do without pictures today, sorry.

Avalon Top
Doesn't really look any different to last week. Not because I haven't worked on it though - I started on the sleeves at the weekend, and after I got about five rounds in to the first one, I decided to try it on and see how they looked. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using an acrylic/merino mix, instead of the suggested acrylic/bamboo, but the sleeves didn't look anywhere near as awesome as they ought to.

I am wary of making things that wont be used, so I had a bit of a think about it, and reasoned that if I didn't like the sleeves, it would put me off wearing it. I have a similar jumper (shop bought) and the sleeves on that are long and irritating, and I often end up rolling them up out of the way when I wear it to work. I don't really want to do that to my new top, especially as I've gone to all the trouble of making it myself, so after much debate Jamie and I decided we both prefer the top sleeveless. So that's how it is staying!

What's keeping this in the WIP pile and not a finished piece though is all the ends that still need weaving in! I hate weaving in ends, it drives me nuts. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get much chance to do it before Friday, so I'll finish this one off at the weekend (including running it through the machine so I can block it gently to flatten out the stitches) and show it off next week.

Not doing the sleeves meant plenty of yarn left over. Overestimating the requirements meant I would have had yarn left over anyway, so I needed a new project for the six balls of Wendy Mode DK I had left.

Aurora Vest
Introducing the first of two new WIPs this week! The Aurora vest is another free pattern (here), this time by Treva McCain. The yarn suggested is the same as the Avalon top, Naturally Caron Spa. Since I'd successfully substituted Mode DK for it last time, I figured I'd be fine to go ahead and do this one too.

I had a bit of a headache over my yarn requirements. I needed to know if I had enough Mode left over. So I used the tiny bits left from the balls used in the other project to make a test motif from the pattern, and then I weighed it. The motif used approximately 3g of yarn. I need 72 motifs in total, so 216g of yarn was my estimate. I have 300g left over. It's fate!

I made a start on it at the weekend, I've done all 12 "A" motifs and two "B" motifs. Once I'd got my head around how to join them together, progress was quick. A nice easy pattern, with very pretty motifs.

This is the sample from Caron

Afternoon Teatime gloves
After taking delivery of my Patons 100% Cotton 4ply and 2.5mm hook, I started on my second pair of Victorian-inspired lacy fingerless gloves. The yarn is a gorgeous deep blue:

I've done one cuff so far, and I have to say, it's very weird working with such a small needle! The yarn is quite different to what I am used to as well, much stiffer. The fabric it creates is quite pleasant though, so I'm sure these gloves will be a success. They will fit a little more snugly than the ones I've made already, though.

Glad to get the practise with a small hook done with this project though, before I start working with the tiny 1.5mm hook for my filet project!

For more exciting WIPs (and probably sexier pictures) head on over to see what Tami and the gang have been up to this week.


  1. Sorry to hear about the sleeve! Hopefully your still happy with it despite it not really coming out like the pattern picture. I love the motif for the vest! It's going to be amazing.

  2. Oh, can't wait to see the gloves! I love afternoon tea, and am curious what afternoon tea time gloves will look like.

    Also, Games Workshop distraction makes me lol. Painting minis is something I never, ever find the time to do, even though I think it's a lot of fun. (though I don't play any games any more that use minis, so I don't know that there'd be a point...)

  3. From the pictures of your Avalon top last week, I think omitting the sleeves is a great decision. It looked lovely sleeveless. The pattern for the vest is so pretty and will be a great layering piece. I liked how you went about determining the correct yarn quantity for the project, too. I think I need to invest in a small scale myself.

  4. You were smart to think through the sleeve decision before finishing the whole sweater. I think it will be gorgeous as a sleeveless top, especially with those lacy motifs. The new WIP is going to be lovely, too. You are making me wish I had more time to figure out crocheting.

  5. How perfect that you have the right amount of yarn for your new project. I love when things work out like that. It looks very pretty.

  6. Yes, I struggle to find time to paint at the moment. Hopefully when my exams are done with I can spend the summer painting (and catch up with the OH, who is rapidly finishing my 40k army and eyeing up my Orcs too!).

  7. I definately think I'll get more wear out of it as a sleeveless top, especially now the weather is starting to improve!

  8. I've certainly been learning a lot recently about yarn substitution!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...