Wednesday 16 March 2011

WIP Wednesday!

Lots of progress this week!

Aurora Vest is progressing nicely. B motifs are now complete, so it actually looks like a vest now the shoulders are joined! Here's a shot of the first set of motifs:


As you can see, some of my initial joinings of the four motifs are a little dodgy, I shall have to go through with a needle and thread once I'm done and fix those up. I've got the hang of it now, so they're not pulling apart like that on the more recent joins!

Socks have reached the heel, and I've run out of unique stitch marking devices, so they've been on hold this week. They look absolutely massive, but I keep testing them against J's feet and they seem to be on track for being the right size. Still not convinced about crocheting socks.

Daffodil Filet is making good progress. I did a test swatch, and determined that 3dc groups rather than 4dc groups make a square, so I have a lot less stitches per row than I could have done! even so, it's 199 stitches a row, with a tiny 1.5mm hook, so my fingers get tired of it very quickly. Am on row 8 out of many.


It's hard to see, at the moment, what it will look like finished, but you can see the edge pattern coming through. It's going to be a sizeable piece though, 22 inches wide, something like 32 inches long by the time it's done. I plan to frame it on a black background.

Fingerless gloves are going ok. The Patons Dreamtime wool ones are the same as last week - needing buttons and finishing off. The Patons 100% Cotton ones were flying along, but I've realised a few mistakes which means I need to start over.


You can't see it in this picture, but the method for working these gloves in the round means the increases don't line up with the thumb hole, so they look weird on the back of the glove. It isn't noticeable in the wool version, but very noticeable in this pair! Also, on glove two, I managed to miss out an entire round! So starting over with these when I get over my grrrrrr at mucking them up. J has promised me a trip into town on Saturday morning to buy buttons, and to look for yarn for the Cthulhu beard hat. Perhaps when I have buttons, I will be motivated to start over. I don't need these gloves till July anyway!

That's me done for WIP updates this week, head on over to Tami's to check out the rest of the gang's progress.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pieces of work. I'm inspired to give crochet a try this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you have some fabulous projects on the hook right now. I get "grrr" at fingerless gloves in general. When it comes to fingerless gloves, I crochet like lightening - never strike twice at the same gauge hehehe Lovin' the pattern for the vest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the motifs for your vest. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many beautiful projects! I can't wait to see the crochet socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a horrible feeling I will reach the end of sock one, run out of yarn and fail to even make a start on sock two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missing round aside, I managed fairly well on keeping my gauge consistent on these ones. I think the cotton is stiff enough, and I crochet tightly enough, for it not to be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so quick to work up, and require so little concentration, it makes for a great project to work on while brain-dead and watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The joined motifs for the vest and those fingerless gloves are both like, stunningly beautiful---I'm sorry you have to start over with the gloves, and I hope you'll get over the grrrr with them soon.

    I don't know how I feel about crocheted socks, either---I've never attempted any, but it's always seemed like a dubious idea to me, so I'm interested to see what you end up thinking of the pair you're working on as they get closer to completion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! Especially the fingerless gloves, love those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gloves look so elegant it's hard to believe that the back is not working right. Good luck finishing up the Avalon top, it is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every week the motifs look better and better for your vest. I'm in aww. As everyone mentioned, the fingerless gloves are so elegant and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite a wide range of projects going. Love those mitts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...