I wasn't going to post today, as we were meant to be taking a day trip down to South Wales to visit family. Unfortunately, Jamie has a rather unpleasant cold and wasn't up to the drive (besides, we didn't really want to inflict his cold on everyone down there too) so we stayed at home and had a lazy day to ourselves instead. Of course, this does mean Rainbow Kitty will be late getting to his new home, but that can't be helped.
It has been a while since we had a Sunday to ourselves to just kick back and relax. We had waffles and ice cream for breakfast then settled in for a day of crafting. I picked up my hooded cowl, while Jamie got on with sculpting some Chaos Space Marines. Almost a whole season of Friends later, and some real progress had been made.
The pattern gives you the option to use either Kitchener stitch or the 3 needle bind off to finish the hood. As both techniques were new to me, I looked them both up on the internet and decided that the 3 needle bind off looked to be the less intimidating choice! So I knit one final purl row, then split my stitches evenly across the two ends of my needle.
I followed the instructions from Knitty, and dug out a 6mm needle to do the bind off.
I was surprised at how easy it was. I only had a few difficulties, getting the stitches to slide up my cheap bamboo needles without pulling the live stitches off with them. The seam is really neat!
Now all I have to do is work out how to block the damn thing! As the yarn is 80% acrylic, it's going to need a steam block, so I need to work out how to properly pin it out and steam it to get the right hood shape. For now, I will chuck it on the pile of "irritatingly shaped projects in need of blocking", alongside the Fern Cowl.
I may not cast on anything new from my list for a few weeks. I've got some non-YoP things to work on, plus I really ought to finish that Cherry Wrap!