I really thought I might have a finished object for you this week, which would make three weeks in a row with a finish! I picked my Cwtch Shawl back up this week and flew through the heart border.
I took it with me to roleplaying night, and made a start on the edging. I have six rows left, that's all. But when I sat down on Friday evening to do some knitting, I suddenly felt the urge to cast on something new. Looking through my list of stash yarns I haven't used yet, I pulled out my Rowan Fine Tweed and decided to swatch for Peerie Flooers. The pattern calls for 3mm needles, but I only have 4mm circs. I tried it on those, but was coming out with the wrong stitch count. I went down to 3mm (using my dpns) and hit gauge perfectly. So a pair of 40cm 3mm circular needles have been ordered!
Back to the list I went, and realised that I now had yarns in my stash that I want to use up that weren't included on the original list. I've now updated it, to include the leftovers of the sofa bed afghan.
I already had two projects lined up for this. The brown and charcoal are going to be used to make a hot water bottle cover in the shape of a platypus, while the charcoal and natural colours will be used for the fabulous trilobite pattern by the amazing Mimi Hill.
As the weather seems to have raced through autumn in a bid to start winter early (seriously, it snowed in York on Friday!), starting the hot water bottle cover seemed to be a good idea. The pattern calls for 4.5mm needles; again, I only had 4mm or 5mm circs in the right length! I swatched on both, and quickly realised I would only hit gauge if I used 4.5mm! So back online I went, and that needle was ordered as well. I'll be starting that one when the needles arrive early next week.
Somewhat disheartened that neither of those projects could be started that night, I did briefly consider getting the shawl back out and finishing off that border. Of course, that's not what happened!
I cast on the trilobite instead.