Wednesday 16 February 2011

The WIP Wednesday that almost wasn't

This morning I didn't think I'd be able to do a WIP Wednesday post today. Wednesday is usually a day of rest and relaxation, as I don't have to rush off anywhere after work. No classes at the gym, no swimming, no social engagements. However, this week, the Thursday night roleplaying session got bumped up a day, to make way for a trip to the theatre (a friend is treading the boards in a local performance of Of Mice and Men, so we are of course going to support him), so I was meant to be heading straight back out after a quick dinner tonight to roleplay (we're currently playing a rather intriguing steampunk style roleplaying game called Etherscope).

But, unfortunately for us, we've had to cancel as others were unable to attend. Fortunately for you, my dear readers, that means I get to blog about my two exciting WIPs!

First up, my Avalon Top. I've not rushed this, as I want to enjoy the process of making it. It is, after all, my first foray into complicated, fitted clothes making. First stage in the top is to make the seven motifs that form the yoke. I have completed four motifs. You join them together as you go, but have to stop the yoke from twisting, hence the red yarn holding it in place.


Here is the fifth motif. I've worked all bar the seventh and final arm, which is the joining arm. I was working on this last night, but it got late before I had a chance to do the complicated joining bit, so I'll have to pick that up next time I work on it. 



Why yes, I am using kirby grips as stitch markers. And whyever not? They work perfectly well and I have plenty of them lying around! I will have to be more creative when a pattern calls for multiple different markers meaning different things, but I have seen some very lovely sets on etsy that I might treat myself to.

Onwards and upwards then, to my other WIP. As this one is a gift and there is a slim chance that the intended recipient might read my blog, I can't go into excessive detail or show too many pics here. For those of you on Ravelry (and if you are a knitter/crocheter I can't see why you wouldn't be), you can see the project page here, where you will find more photos and of course a link to the pattern I'm using. I can safely give you that link, as my gift's recipient is not a knitter, and isn't on the site.

So, on to the WIP update. I love this project. So. Much. I love how simple the pattern repeat is. I love how quickly it crochets up. I love how easy it is to see where you got to when you last put it down, without having to count stitches or rows or anything.

I love how the colours are pooling and striping! I was worried it would be too bright, but I think it will be alright. The yarn feels nice to work with, and isn't slipping and sliding all over my hook like the Wendy Happy did. Best of all, the material is light and floaty like I want it to be.

Here you can see how the stripes are developing

And here is a close-up of the pattern repeats
So there you go. An exciting week as far as my projects are concerned! Although I've barely had time for anything else. Head on over to Tami's blog to link up with the rest of WIP Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. I had to peek at rav to see the mystery project, it is coming along nicely--I love the yarn, havent seen that before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. blimey that top with the motifs looks fiddly, but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, the top shirt is insanity. How awesome is THAT going to be!? I can't wait until you get further along.

    The secret pic is coming along beautifully. I too love the way it's pooling with the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that motif pattern looks complicated! Your secret project on Ravelry is very pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That top is going to be amazing! Your motifs are looking great for it. The second WIP is very gift worthy, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both projects. Your recipient will be overjoyed when you present the gift one, it is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm with Tami - I can't wait to see how that top comes along - it's so dramatic! The other is lovely too, and I'm sure it will be well loved by the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's usually something extra pretty and complicated about Doris Chan patterns, so it's fun to see your top in progress (lookin' good :>)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...