I know, I know, I said I'd finish my existing YoP WIPs from last year before I started on this year's list. Well, I couldn't resist the lure of casting on something new, so when I failed to do the maths to pick up the stitches on Eleonora, I turned to my list to find something simple and quick to do while I waited to figure out the stitch count and for my new circular needle to arrive.
I dug out these two yarns from my stash, and found my 5mm needles to cast on for Capucine.
I found the endless rows of garter stitch rather soothing, and quite enjoyed the transition from knitting flat to knitting in the round, where the fabric shifts from garter to stocking stitch. Very quickly I found myself casting off and thinking "job well done".
|I'm so pleased with the way the stripes turned out!|
I quickly realised I had an issue. Let this be a lesson to you all in checking gauge before starting a project! As I hadn't checked mine, I didn't realise I was hitting 4 stitches per inch instead of 3. So my hat is tiny! Well, not tiny, but definitely not adult size! I estimate it's a 16" circumference hat, whereas I need 23". So once I've weaved in the ends and added the tassles, I will be gifting it to the nearest child.
Of course, I was sad about not having a hat for myself, so I sat down with the pattern and calculated how many stitches I'd need at my gauge to get a hat that would fit. Half an hour later and I had a pattern that I thought would work, and cast on immediately!
I am a little sad that I have now run out of the brown yarn, so my hat will just have a brown edge and the rest will be green. The tassles on the small hat will have to be plain green too. If I hadn't cut my yarn each colour change, and carried it up the work instead, I might have frogged the original hat to reuse the brown. As it is though, I shall be content with a bright green hat.