Monday 3 January 2011

52 Photos in 52 Weeks - Week One

So I've been racking my brains over what my photo for week one would be. The week isn't shaping up to be an interesting one; it started with New Year's Day, which was mostly lost to a hangover. The rest of the weekend has been fairly uninspiring from a photography perspective, and for the rest of the week I will be busy going to work and not really having daylight time available for taking decent photos.

Unless every one of my 52 photos is going to be a different photo of the park behind my office!

But then I was struck by a sort of inspiration. There had to be a way to create an interesting and beautiful picture inside the house, from something ordinary and unexpected. I took a few shots of Mr Fidget (the cat) sleeping on the sofa; while cute, I didn't think they cut it in terms of meeting my challenge needs. I have much practice in taking photos of the cat!

I took the camera into the kitchen, as we'd just roasted a chicken and I like taking photos of our roasts (I'm not sure why, maybe so I can play with the food setting on my camera). J was still cooking, so I amused myself taking random shots of the cooker. And came out with this, which I think is beautiful.

Kitchen grease

It's grease, under the cooker hood. A bit embarrassing to share, I guess, because it shows up how horrendously filthy the cooker hood is, but we never use the extractor fan anyway, so it doesn't really matter. The flash reflected off the hood, and at first I thought it had ruined my shot. But looking at it on the bigger screen, I actually like it. So it makes it into the set, as my week one photograph.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of finding beauty in the everyday and domestic, even grease on the cooker hood.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice, like the bokeh on it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...