Tuesday 18 January 2011

Charity Crochet

Over the last couple of weeks, I've read about a number of charitable knitting/crochet efforts, most notably SuddenExpression's drive to knit preemie hats for the hospital which cared for her sister's premature twins. I wanted to get involved in something like this, because I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately, all of the ones I've read about so far are based in America, and would involve shipping my FOs to American addresses.

So you can imagine my delight when I discovered today the 100 Million Stitches project being undertaken as part of the celebration of the centenary of International Women's Day. Not only are 6" squares ridiculously quick and easy to crochet up, I can go to town on different motifs. Consider it practice for my next afghan project! And better than that, the project is based in Glasgow, which means a UK address to post the squares to.

I already have a first motif in mind, the Friendship Ring Square by Terri Kroupa (pattern is here, the only shared FO on Ravelry I can find is tealya's joined ring afghan, which I'm sure she won't mind me linking to, as it means my non-Ravelling readers can see how it looks all finished in a blanket). It reckons it's an 8" square, but with some fiddling about on hook size and yarn I'm sure mine will be more like 6". I've been wanting to play with this square for a while, but it didn't really seem to make any sense to just make one and leave it lying around.

I am now very tempted to run out and buy a big book of motif patterns and spend the next week or so working my way through them for this project! Might have to wander into town at lunchtime and see what I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...