We recently celebrated a friend's birthday, so now I can finally share the presents I made for her! I first had the idea to do these back in May; after a week of having the patterns sitting in my Ravelry queue I just had to start working on them.
Of course, as Em is on Ravelry as well, I had to be sneaky about it! I set up my project pages, so I could have someplace to record how much yarn I used, and what dates I made them over, but didn't add any details on what pattern it was or anything. I set them to hibernating so they'd most likely appear right at the bottom of my project list, and not be noticed. And I made a project photo picture that says "Ssssh! It's a secret" just to get the idea across!
But, now they have been gifted and well received, I can share them with you! There are actually 4 of them, but only two were for Em. The other two were half practice-goes, half I-really-want-one-too.
|Super Seekrit Project 1, aka Yoda for me|
|Super Seekrit Project 2 aka Yoda for EmmyLou|
Yarn: Sirdar Bonus DK
Additional Materials: 2x 8mm safety eyes (each), fibrefill stuffing
This pattern is awesome. As written, you get the original Yoda with the pale brown belted robe (project 1), plus additional instructions for creating a more traditional looking Yoda in a dark brown outfit with pale brown hooded robe. Lucy's instructions are very clear and well laid out, I had no trouble at all putting him together.
This was my first experience using safety eyes, though. I did a bit of searching to see if there was a trick to getting them on, but it would seem not. If your fingers aren't in complete agony by the time you hear the little click, you're not doing it right! I actually had to get Jamie to help me on these two.
When it came to deciding which one to give Em, quite clearly it was going to be Yoda number 2. I think he looks awesome. Plus, the robe, totally comes off. You can dress and undress him! Not sure why you'd want to, but anyway.... moving on..
|Super Seekrit Project 3 aka R2-D2 for me|
|Super Seekrit Project 4 aka R2-D2 for EmmyLou|
Yarn: Sirdar Bonus DK
Additional Materials: 2 x 10mm safety eyes, 1x 8mm safety eye (each), fibrefill stuffing
This one was a little trickier, because in order to have poseable legs, you have to attach them to the body with safety eyes forming the joints. Cue more cursing and screaming in pain as we tried to get them to attach! I decided to test the pattern first by making myself a proper blue R2 unit. This pattern is awesome. It's so quick, and so easy, and so clever. By the time I was done with my R2, I couldn't wait to get started on Em's.
The second R2 unit is green, because in a recent weekend Star Wars roleplay game, Em played a green R2 unit, and I wanted to make a mini ami of her character. This appears to be a tradition Jamie and I have now started, as last year we made a diorama depicting her Dark Heresy character casually blasting her way through an industrial landscape with her custom multi melta:
|Not the best photo we have of it; when I have time I will hunt|
through my PC and find the better ones.
|Click the banner to see other FO posts!|