Sunday 17 July 2011

Year of Projects update - July 17


So I've finally caught up on my lost sleep from last weekend, and have found the time to photograph my WIPs and put together an update for you all!

It's already becoming very clear to me that I will race through the crochet part of my list, and the knitting side will be left behind. Good job I've got a year to finish it all. Having finished my Sweet Pea Shawl last week, I had initially planned to keep focused on my Easy Lace Stole.


Don't get me wrong, it's going fairly well. Considering how little time I've devoted to it, I think I'm making good progress! But the ball of yarn doesn't look like it's got any smaller, and I feel like this will go on for EVER. I am tempted to order the yarn and cast on my second knitting project, as it's much smaller so will be a lot quicker. I do have some discount vouchers for Deramores which run out on 31st July, so I ought to do another order soon anyway.

I'm sure you've noticed, I have funky new knitting stitch markers too. I was getting fed up with using scraps of pink and purple sock yarn, so bit the bullet and ordered a load of markers from eBay. I found someone having a clearance sale, and got 8 random bags of 5 markers for £4.


With nothing interesting on the hook (aside from my two long-standing non-YoP WIPs) I decided to go ahead and start working on my second crochet project from the list.

It's the Crochet Lacy Wrap by Moda Dea. I am using James C Brett Marble Chunky in a rather strange brown-orange-green colourway.


I started it on Friday evening, and instantly hit a snag. The yarn is incredibly soft and squishy, but in order to work it I had to use my plastic 10mm hook. Now I know why so many of the anti-acrylic brigade complain about squeakiness. It's not so bad now I'm past the first row, working into the foundation chain, but even so.

I was also rather dubious about my colour choice when I first started, but now I'm over halfway through I can see how it is coming together.


It's difficult to get the colour to look right in the photo, it is slightly more orange than this. But if I use the flash, it comes out looking ORANGE which isn't right either!

I'm almost done with it, it's such a quick project. That'll be the bulky yarn and massive crochet hook then!

Click on the banner at the top of this post to go to the current Ravelry thread for this week's posts.

20 comments:

  1. OMG that crochet lacy wrap is lovely and the yarn is to die for !!!  Love it.   This YOP is becoming bad for me as I'm finding WIMs all over the place and they would take me two lifetimes to make them all.   What a good eBay pick up - the markers are so much nicer than scraps of yarn.  Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW they are both really awesome.  They look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color of your brownish scarf, and your stitch markers are awesome.  I really need to get some for myself.  I've been using boring little plastic circles, which really only work well when they can be transferred one needle to another.  I can't really use them to mark a specific row etc.

    I only use plastic hooks when I crochet, but have never heard the squeak you referred to.  I use the plastic because they're so much lighter weight and easier on the arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours of both your projects but especially the brown/orange wrap. I can't wait to see more of it finished.

    I'd say with vouchers to be used order the second project lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with that green yarn! And those funky stitch markers are pretty~very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ebay stitch markers, what a great find, and your crochet lacy wrap is stunning....well worth putting up with the squeak factor I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^^ You pick interesting colors.
    Good for you on treating yourself to new, stitch markers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the wrap looks so nice!  Crocheting goes faster for me too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so *productive*! I love the yarn color on the Easy Lace stole and the markers  look so cheery dangling there. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. and another shawl to add to my ever growing list on ravelry - I love the crochet lace wrap and think that the james brett colours work perfectly x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cheeriness of stitch markers and yours are very cheery! I hope you are going to keep working on your green stole--it will be stunning. I like your Autumn colored yarn too--very pretty and earthy looking.
    *sniles*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alittlebitsheepish18 July 2011 at 09:57

    You are storming through your YOP projects, they look super and well done on the super bargain stitch markers find

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is quite a squeaky acrylic, but it is pretty soft once knitted/crocheted up ;) Love the new stitch markers :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah - Crafts From The Cwtch18 July 2011 at 13:07

    You are making some great progress! Lovely markers and the green of your stole is so pretty I am willing you to finish it quickly so I can see it in all it's glory! :) 

    ReplyDelete
  15. The never ending project.  I know that so well.  In fact has recently as last night I was shouting at my Clockwork, "why won't you just end!!!!" I really empathize with you.  PS, I like the one your bookshelf idea.  I may have to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The marble yarn looks to have some nice subtleties to it; it seems to glow like warm embers or something. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm much slower at knitting too. A yarn like that green would definitely help motivation I think! Beautiful stitch markers too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loving the green wrap. Off to ebay now, to get cooler stitch markers. The other wrap seems to be kind of an amber color (at least on my monitor) it's also lovely. I am stashing all of these projects for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow you are a talented crocheter! your lace stole looks pretty too I love the color ofit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...