Saturday 10 December 2011

Countdown to Christmas

I finally got around to finishing my advent calendar last night. After much deliberation, I opted for Chrissy's suggestion of a candle.

These two have gone straight in the box for the surprise drawing each morning

The white candle went straight on the wall, to fill the gap we'd left on the 8th
We're being fairly random about how we choose which ornament goes up each day, but as I have 8 different designs, and there are 8 pegs on each string, it seemed logical to have one of each design on each string! So on the 8th we left a gap to fill when I made the final three pieces.

This is how it looked yesterday evening
I really like it now that it's starting to fill up. Such a lovely use of an otherwise wasted space, as the wall on the side of the stairs isn't secure enough to hang a painting from.

Also, I realised I showed you last years video of us putting up the Christmas tree, but haven't shown you the additional decorations which are now traditional (you do something twice, it becomes a tradition, right?).

See how the tree completely blocks access to my stash
The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed there are amigurumi peeking out of the branches. As soon as the tree goes up, the various creatures from around the room migrate to the tree and live there throughout the Christmas period.

All of the amis from the shelves are here. The Cyoot Sad Eyed Dragon, and his friend Sir Tiny Knight (not made by me),
both crabs, both lobsters, Yoda, R2D2 and the tiger. Oh, and I've turned some random swatch motifs into ornaments.
And my cuddly Gruffalo and Reindeer come along for the ride too.
Of course, I wouldn't want my snake to feel left out, so we decorate George, the dragon tree, as well. Just tinsel this year, but in previous years he's had baubles and lights too.

It's some sort of tropical Christmas out there.

3 comments:

  1. A little bit sheepish10 December 2011 at 09:30

    Super advent calendar. I put my little knitted critters on the tree too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a tree full of amigurumi, so cute :) I don't have enough critters to do this with, but I'm definitely keeping it in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your advent calender, its a wonderful idea!! And a tree full of lovely amigurumi as well :D I cant wait for christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...