Friday 16 December 2011

FO - Saartje's Booties


I am so proud of these! These booties will go with the hat that's currently on the needles, for a baby which is due in the new year.

Pattern: Saartje's Booties by Saartje de Bruijn (direct link here)
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in red and purple
Needles: 2.5mm DPNs
Mods: The pattern as written is to knit them flat, then seam. I chose to follow the in the round instructions provided here as I wasn't keen on the idea of all that seaming and end weaving.

They've come out pretty small, so I'm worried they won't be of any use. I am reassured by Em who has knit them before that they will be fine, but I think I might make a second pair on larger needles, to make a slightly bigger set and then send them both just to be sure!

They knit up so quickly, and I even learned a new cast on method as you use the cable cast on to get the stitches for the straps. The buttons were ones I had left over from the packs of acrylic buttons I used on my advent calendar. I may have to use different colour buttons on the second pair, as I don't know if I have another 4 white ones! I might also do the colours the other way around.

More FOs over at Tami's!

7 comments:

  1. I love that bootie pattern, and yours are fantastic!  The bold colours are great and your knitting looks so gorgeous.  (And I think sending two pairs is a good idea, too---babies grow out of stuff super-fast [at least that's what I hear], so having another, bigger pair on hand seems like it would be nice.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Crafts From The Cwtch16 December 2011 at 23:21

    They are lovely and the colours look tremendous! When I made these I also thought they were too small to gift, and I kept them for Little Miss' dolls but I saw a newborn baby afterwards and was reminded how tiny their feet are and I do think they would have been fine! 

    I'm sure I'll be popping over here in the next week, but in case I don't get to comment, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. 
    Sarah 
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are adorable, what a wonderful gift they will make.  I also love the combination of the red and purple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little bit sheepish18 December 2011 at 07:28

    So cute! Love the colours you picked

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so cute!  I haven't seen that design before, but they look very practical as well as sweet, and the colour is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...