Monday 19 December 2011

In the bleak midwinter...

Six days to go!

I'm starting to get really excited about Christmas now. We're on the final string of the advent calendar, just five more ornaments to come out of the box. I bought the chocolate decorations on Saturday and they are now hanging in their proper place on the tree. Even Fidget is getting into the Christmas spirit.

This is as close to clothing on cats as I will go.

The tree has created its own problems though. I cannot access my stash shelves without serious risk of tree-related injury. I have had to be creative, and find an alternative place to keep all my active WIPs so they remain accessible.

There is a very handy space between the cushions and the wall,
now stuffed full of acrylics for my granny blanket.
There are four WIPs nestled in that space. The granny blanket, obviously, but if you look closer you may also spot Jamie's hat, a second pair of Saartje's booties and my latest cast on - the ribbed lace bolero. Now, when I find myself sat on the sofa in front of the TV, I can just reach up behind me and grab something to keep my hands occupied.

Fidget remains unmoved by the proximity of yarn. This is good.

It's another one from my Year of Projects list, and I've been itching to get started on it ever since I acquired the perfect yarn. You see, a fellow Raveller was having a destash, and one of the items on the list was five balls of Rowan Calmer in black, for a wonderfully cheap price of £15 for the lot, including postage. Mooncalf alerted me to its existence, so I bought it to prevent her from breaking her yarn buying ban. It is lovely yarn! I just hope I've got enough. I'm sure I have, but you never know!


6 comments:

  1. I've probably mentioned this before, but your advent calendar ALWAYS makes me smile. I love it to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made that bolero pattern, too. It's really awesome, and makes a great summer shrug. I usually use it when I need to cover my shoulders on a sleeveless dress/tank top. And, as far as I remember it, I used way less then 5 50g balls- it might have been only two or three. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - Crafts From The Cwtch20 December 2011 at 10:15

    Your advent calendar is scaring me a bit - it's so close and I really don't feel very organised at all! 

    There is a lot of nagging for cats in our house at the moment (we had 2 old cats that passed a couple of years ago and D thinks it's "Time" plus the kids both love cats) but I am holding out for the moment - as I'm the one who will be cleaning bird innards from the cream carpet and trying to catch and rescue  scared/half mauled mice *shudder*. One of the other things that puts me off is the thought of cats with my yarn, so I am heartened to see your disinterested cat! 

    If I don't comment again before the big day, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and that Santa brings you something lovely! 
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Christmas is so close now! Love your advent calendar - maybe if I had one like that (that makes it so clear how few days there are left until Christmas) I would have been a little more organised! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sacrifice was much appreciated. I'm glad you're loving the yarn. I just cast on with Calmer this morning and I'm in love with it myself. I'd forgotten how nice it was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your WIP "storage space" is ingenious!  My kitties would hunt them and leave them lying all over the house but yours looks tucked away safely.  Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...